As of May 4 2007 the scripts will autodetect your timezone settings. Nothing here has to be changed, but there are a few things

Please follow this blog

Search this blog

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Representations and Characters of Groups


I found an electronic version of a book with a high position on my Amazon wish list. With 458 pages including about 60 pages of worked out solutions of all the exercises it is an excellent source for the self-study of this fascinating topic. I started on Representation Theory, A First Course by Fulton a while ago but after a few chapters it turned out I wasn't ready for all but parts of the book. My intrest in the subject was firmly set.
In the very beginning of my IT "career" ( since I am still on the first step of the corporate ladder it is clear that I am not the typical corporate type of guy, i adjust enough to be able to survive ) I moved to the position of project leader fast. After a year or two I wanted to write a program but I discovered that the languages I could code in ( Databus, Cobol and RPG-II) were dead or not easily available to me. I had to start from scratch. These things don't happen in mathematics, I suppose. I can imagine similar developments in physics though. Imagine string theory to be proved false. If you are a string theory professor you have to come up with something else.
I thought about this when I read "... This set of lecture notes presents a new approach to the representation theory of the symmetric group — more precisely: to the character theory of the symmetric group over a field of characteristic zero ..." in the following book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Welcome to The Bridge

Mathematics: is it the fabric of MEST?
This is my voyage
My continuous mission
To uncover hidden structures
To create new theorems and proofs
To boldly go where no man has gone before




(Raumpatrouille – Die phantastischen Abenteuer des Raumschiffes Orion, colloquially aka Raumpatrouille Orion was the first German science fiction television series. Its seven episodes were broadcast by ARD beginning September 17, 1966. The series has since acquired cult status in Germany. Broadcast six years before Star Trek first aired in West Germany (in 1972), it became a huge success.)