As of May 4 2007 the scripts will autodetect your timezone settings. Nothing here has to be changed, but there are a few things

Please follow this blog

Search this blog

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Unexpected behavior of C2mm symmetry.

#openuniversity# #m336# #symmetry#

I read that a US Senate Commission is worried about the F-35 project because they are building planes while the testing of the F-35 is in full progress. The thing is that the Joint Strike Fighter ( F-35 ) is in fact a flying super-computer running on state-of-the-art software. Sound engineering principles don't apply to these machines. Software is never 'done'. Software is always in development and in testing and ( just ) released at the same time. There will be upgrades for the F-35 until the end of its life. Politicians think ( or say they think ) that when the plane is done, its done.

This thought crossed my mind because planning, by definition, implies uncertainty about the future. Unexpected things can happen, will happen, at a moment when its least expected.

To the point.

Mathematics is unpredictable too. From time to time you'll see unexpected things. Among various other topics I am studying plane symmetries at the moment. I have several books well illustrated with all sorts of patterns that can occur. For me, programming is an effective way to study, so I wrote a program that plots patterns using the symmetries I am studying. One of these symmetries is C2mm which is basically rotating a diamond lattice 90, 180, 270 and 360 degrees. While I was testing the C2mm symmetry in Graphica ( the name of my symmetry program ) I noticed that the patterns are very sensitive to the center of rotation.

I made a video ( of only part of the screen for size and performance reasons ). The second half of the video shows several unexpected patterns while changing the center of rotation. Watch and you may experience the same awe that I felt. All I expected was that the symmetry could generate a diamond lattice from a triangle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Welcome to The Bridge

Mathematics: is it the fabric of MEST?
This is my voyage
My continuous mission
To uncover hidden structures
To create new theorems and proofs
To boldly go where no man has gone before




(Raumpatrouille – Die phantastischen Abenteuer des Raumschiffes Orion, colloquially aka Raumpatrouille Orion was the first German science fiction television series. Its seven episodes were broadcast by ARD beginning September 17, 1966. The series has since acquired cult status in Germany. Broadcast six years before Star Trek first aired in West Germany (in 1972), it became a huge success.)